Thursday, January 21, 2010

Week 2 EOC - Part 2

Being born in 1988 I am part of what sociologists have deemed ‘Generation Y’. According to our text Generation Yers like myself seem to be impatient, family oriented, inquisitive, opinionated, diverse, have good time management skills, are street smart, and are connected. Personally I feel that I fall into most if not all of these categories. I know myself to be very impatient, if I want something I want it now and I am very into the feeling of instant gratification. Being family oriented is probably the one area in which I fall the least. While I am very close with my mother, father, sister, and my father’s parents, I can take or leave the many numerous other members of my extended family. My mother’s family is very large and therefore very hard to keep up with and it can at times get exhausting, and other than my grandparents, my father’s family and I do not have anything in common and therefore I am prone to dislike them. I am very inquisitive, once I decide that I want to know how something works or why something is happening I study it very intently until I know the ins and outs of the entire subject. Any of my friends and family will be able to ascertain as to my opinions, and the fervor with which I voice them. I try to make myself the poster child of being politically correct and relish in the opportunity to meet new people from different backgrounds and learn about them and their cultures. I love travelling and hope to one day be able to say that I have been around most of the different cultures of the world. I am definitely a time manager, everything is planned, and all of my calendars are synched with alerts warning me when something is coming. I think that all my generation can say that they are without a doubt ‘street smart’ and connected. Growing up with such vast experiences and 24 hour news channels we have become desensitized to violence and have become aware of the world around us. We have also done this through social networking. Websites such as Myspace and Facebook have allowed us to meet different people around the globe and interact with them in ways that were not available to previous generations. I am glad that I am a Gen Yer, growing up in other way than the one that I have seems quite pedestrian.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home